We are made of up to 70% water. Essential to life, it helps regulate body temperature, helps cushion your spinal cord, lubricates your joints, helps keep intracellular fluids healthy detoxifying and clearing out toxins and other cellular waste. Staying hydrated also help in weight management, often times people will want to snack when really the body is wanting hydration.
Some simple ways to stay hydrated
- Put a bottle or glass of water beside the bed ready for you when you first wake-up, start the day hydrated. If your getting good sleep, you haven't had anything to drink for the last 8 hrs or so.
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you and put it out in sight. If it's tucked away in the lunch bag you might not think of it until lunch!
- Add fruits like diced strawberries, blackberries, and kiwi to your water to give it a flavour boost. If you enjoy adding flavors, try a glass infuser water bottle. Keep fresh mint leaves on hand and toss them into your water bottle. This one is great for summertime.
Build a Better Breakfast
It’s important to eat a good breakfast daily. Aim to consume 20-25% of your daily calories at breakfast to keep you fueled longer and help ward off excess evening eating. Add proteins and healthy fats to your breakfast to help stabilize blood sugars through the day, and sustained you until lunch, or a least your mid morning snack.
Easy Ideas to Jack Up your Morning
- Add nuts and seeds to your oats, try Brazil and walnuts, or pumpkin and sunflower seeds to add a healthy fat and protein in one beautiful little package.
- Scramble some veggies, try making a large scramble that can be split into easy to reheat portions, avocados always pair well and are ready to go for a quick, easy, delicious breakfast.
- Smoothie person? Just add a high quality plant based whole foods protein like hemp or Pumpkin seed, and a tbsp or 2 of coconut cream to add those healthy fats and proteins will help make your breakfast last longer, and keep you focused.
Grocery Shop with a Plan
Wandering through the grocery aisles without a list will leave you open to poor food choices. Take 10 minutes before going to the store and plan out a few days worth of meals and then identify what ingredients you need and stick to the list. Eat before you go!
Know Before You Go
- Plan some meals and jot down grocery list. Try and group like things on the list; produce with produce, bulk and grains, ect.
- Only visit the isles you need to! Start with Produce section and fill er up! Then look for the isles you need, don't walk the isles looking for things you want. Most grocery store have over 20 isles filled with delightful PRODUCTS, these products may seem to be deemed as food but sadly are not, you might be surprised that you need less than 4 isle to obtain everything you have on your healthy shopping list.
Try cooking foods more often so that you can control what goes in the meal. Home made foods are generally better for you.
- During the week plan for quick meals such as quinoa, a healthy protein and a pile of bright vegetables that can be made in 15 minutes. Make a little bit extra for lunch the next day.
- When you have more time try making a larger portions of soup, chili or a roast that can be used over a couple days.
- Prep some foods ahead, salad jars are an easy way to have a fresh, crisp, veggie packed salad every day without the work.
If you are trying to stay healthy then plan ahead for daily snacks. Mixing veggies and protein or veggies and a healthy fat will provide an energy boost between meals, without a spike in blood sugar.
Pack Snacks that Pack the Right Kinda Punch
- Clean up the snacks, avoid refined, processed foods with additives, preservatives and chemicals such as artificial sweeteners, flavourings, and colourings, as they will only deplete your body of nutrients.
- Try 1-2 cups of veggies and a 1/3 cup hummus or an apple and a handful of nuts.
- Read the ingredient list – if you don’t know what it is, don’t buy it! Try these delicious breakfast/ snack bars instead.
Hope you like these simple ideas to touch base with your nutrition in an easy way. If you are looking for more support or a focused plan for your unique needs, visit our service page or contact page and let's be in touch.
As Always, Health & Happiness.